Podcasts of interest to students and teachers on a variety of topics.
NB: We would advise teachers review individual episodes of all podcasts before recommending to students to determine their suitability.
- Leaving Cert Guidance Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- A History of the World in 100 Objects (BBC)
- Inside Education – Irish education podcast with over 400 episodes on a range of topics including leadership, literacy, and psychology.
- The Learning Scientists Podcast – US podcast aimed at teachers and students which explores evidence- based practice and learning.
- The Pol-Soc Podcast – a political podcast for students and teachers that explores current world political events and its societal impact.
- The Critter Shed – biodiversity podcast for students and teachers.
- Science Friday – Science Friday with Ira Flatow covers a variety of science topics with useful resources available on their website to complement each episode’s topics.
- TED Podcasts – new podcasts everyday on a variety of topics.
- Mindful Heaney – readings of Seamus Heaney’s poetry with mindfulness and reflection.
- Harry Potter and the Sacred Text – a deep exploration of themes, narratives and concepts from the best-selling and beloved Harry Potter series.
- The Hamlet Podcast – 10-minute episodes that analyse and explore the works of Shakespeare.
- The Penguin Podcast – award-winning bi-weekly interview series which invites authors to explore their literary lives through some of the objects that have inspired their work.
- The Happy Writer Podcast – author Marissa Meyer interviews other authors on how we can overcome various obstacles and bring more joy to our writing process.
- The Story Seeds Podcast – award winning authors interview children and tweens for their story ideas and then write said story.
- Start With This – creators of the popular podcast ‘Welcome to Nightvale’ explore how to start, edit and produce excellent pieces of creative writing including novels, plays and screenplays. Each episode features activities for listeners to try at home.
Podcasts for Older Students
- Dear Hank & John – podcast by author John Green and Hank Green.
- Stuff you should know – podcast with episodes ranging from 15 minutes to an hour on a wide variety of topics, from history to health.
- Radiolab – a science podcast for adults and teens alike which breaks down scientific concepts, experiments and theories.
- Stuff You Missed in History Class – from the memorable to the strange, this podcast explores some of the most interesting and bizarre occurrences in world history.
Podcasts for Teachers
- The Knowledge Project – exploring current teaching norms and challenges these with other theories and frameworks.
- Tes – the education podcast – UK based education podcast.
- Playing with Research in Health and Physical Education – American podcast aimed at teachers interested in health and physical activity.